Comphurst XC is part of Comphurst Farm, a mainly arable farm set within 300 acres of glorious Sussex countryside. Much of the land was purchased in the 1950s and was part of the Windmill Hill Place estate prior to that. The cross country currently occupies about 80 acres being sited in Castle Field, so-named because it has views of Herstmonceux Castle, which is a mainly Elizabethan structure and Comphurst Field.
The farm is laid down with wheat, field beans, barley and grass for the cattle
The farm, and the farmhouse, are named after William Comper, a wealthy yeoman who lived at Comphurst in the 15th Century and who built the Wealden Hall House, part of which forms a substantial part of the present house. A brick wing with an apex roof was added to the medieval house in the early 1600s and the original jettied wooden frame of the Hall House was bricked up in 1735. The house was home to 5 families in the 1800s, when it became almost derelict before undergoing extensive renovation in 1913 by the Curteis family, who had fallen into financial difficulty and were forced to move to Comphurst and let Windmill Hill Place.
THe Venerable E.G. Reid, Archdeacon of Hastings, bought Windmill Hill Place in the late 1930s, moving to Windmill Hill from Sedlescombe. Will’s father, Peter, grew up there before joining a tank corps at the start of the war. During World War 2 Comphurst was let to a solicitor and many jolly evenings were spent raising war funds. After the war, Peter bought Comphurst and several pockets of land (School Farm, at the top of Comphurst Lane, and Windmill Hill Place Farm, which is located at the entrance to CXC) to make a viable farm and farmed it before Will took over. Peter and Elizabeth Reid continued to live at Comphurst well into their later years and finally vacated it in the late 2000s.